Political Commentary

Nick Kasoff nkasoff at WINS0.WIN.ORG
Sat Jul 8 16:05:35 MDT 1995

I disagree completely.  Take myself for an example (yes, I realize that a
single instance of something doth not a pattern make, but bear with me):
I entered a public university as a politically somewhat conservative
atheist. I emerged from college, in which I participated in a "great
books" type honors program that was the most liberal thing on campus, as
a vocal evangelical right-winger. And the funniest part about it is that
my parents are very liberal.  I simply don't believe that college
students can be ideologically strongarmed like that -- of course, some
can, but if they are the product of MTV & public primary schools, they
are probably liberal by the time they get to college anyway.

You are right that there are some large institutional changes which must
be made.  But I still contend that the first problem is one of utilizing
our present resources to maximize social change.  That means supporting
institutions which are truly making a difference, such as Family Research
Council which singlehandedly defeated the Foster nomination.  It also
means that we who are ideologically committed to conservatism must
vigorously recruit others to come on board and make a difference.  The
truth is that most of the nation agrees with us, but they just act as
though they don't.  We must serve as agents of change, not to change the
beliefs of the hard left, but to change the actions of the soft, slightly
right of center people who comprise most of the country.