State Education

Katy Knudson knudsonk at DESTINY.ESD105.WEDNET.EDU
Tue Jul 18 15:36:53 MDT 1995

Sam, I share your deep concern about the quality of education your
children are getting. It sounds as if Shelley is on firm footing with the
way you have raised her.  We raised two "conservative rebels" and watch
with excitement at what lies ahead for them.  Private education was not
an option for us at the time, but they came through alright.
        I think the answer to rearing children in an adverse environment
(socially or scholastically) is to clearly communicate to them the
values of your family (ours come out of God's Word), live consistently
before them those values, and teach them critical thinking.
        There is much that is still good in public education, but parents must
monitor carefully---talk to them about what happened at school each day,
examine the textbooks, back the teacher when your pride and joy
misbehaves, and help them develop the strong self esteem to stand alone
when they must.
        Parents must be willing to put in a great deal of time and effort to
child rearing.  It doesn't usually go very well for adults who are
totally consumed with their own careers and have little time or energy to
invest in the next generation.  As an "empty-nester", I can
wholeheartedly say it was worth the effort.

Martha Knudson