State Education

Katy Knudson knudsonk at UCS.ORST.EDU
Wed Jul 19 13:07:12 MDT 1995

I was glad to hear of Bruce's experiences with openness toward faith in
the public school he attended.  They must be much more tolerant of
expressions of faith than Glen Wilson High School in Hacienda Heights, CA.
I objected to an advertising flyer posted by the animation club that
featured a soft porn cartoon character.  Her breasts and buttocks were
highlighted in this eye-popping poster which was all over our campus.
When I expressed my concern to the vice-principal, he said the first
ammendment protected this poster.  A few weeks later, he tore down
advertisements posted by the Bible club because they featured an
encouraging verse from scripture.   He said this poster could not be
allowed anywhere on campus because it violated the separation of church
and state.  Go figure.  (I was very proud of the Bible club students.
They appealed the decision to the superintendent and won.) Kate