State Education & Parental Responsibility

Paul Wybrant JulyFour at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 20 09:28:44 MDT 1995

Folks,

Bruce wrote:

<< SNIP >>

>        This is the whole point in a nutshell. So far as I'm concerned,
>claiming that the whole state-sponsored education system is in the hands
>of liberals is disingenuous, at best. The fact is that, if parents take
>the responsibility to instil their values in their children & to raise
>them right, then it doesn't matter what the "liberal" education system
>says.
< SNIP >

PapaPaul responds:

"Disingenuous at best"?  How so?  Besides, no one has claimed that
the WHOLE system is in the hands of liberals.  For example, I pointed
out the example of Kate.

MY point was that I was afraid that state-sponsored education is a danger.

After reading your post, I went to the library and snooped around.  I was
delighted to find this quote in the October, 1994 issue of  "Destiny"
(black conservative magazine)

         "As 19th century British philosopher John Stuart Mill observed,
         'A general state education is a mere contrivance for moulding
         people to be exactly like one another....  It establishes a
         despotism of the mind.'"

Returning home, I was even more delighted to find this quotation in
the current platform of your party (Libertarian)

=====
"We  advocate  the   complete  separation  of   education  and   State.
Government  schools  lead   to  the  indoctrination  of  children  and
interfere with the  free choice of individuals.  Government ownership,
operation, regulation, and  subsidy of schools  and colleges should be
ended. We call  for  the  repeal  of  the  guarantees  of  tax-funded,
government-provided  education,  which   are  found  in   most   state
constitutions."
======

As to your questions about Liberals controlling education:  I think there
is a lot to be said on this subject.  But my comments will have to wait
until I return from Seattle/Portland.

Regards, PapaPaul