Welcome Will

Willaim Thurber - PhD Student thurber at FMGMT.MGMT.UTORONTO.CA
Fri Jul 28 08:34:51 MDT 1995

On Wed, 26 Jul 1995, Sam Teel wrote:

> Welcome aboard Will.

> Which parts of Rush do you consider unintelligent?  As you know we hardly
> ever talk about  Rush.

The lack of Rush talk in the group RUSHTALK is one of its more pleasent
attributes.  Lets not spoil a good thing.

> > "If in the free market of ideas
> > the truth will always win, why do we need government to tell us what to
>
> I'm not sure that's true.  Sometimes bad people and liers win.  I think your
> point goes more to the issue of law than it's enforcer.  Laws are public
> statements of what a culture believes to acceptable behavior.  It follows
> that they are also statements of what the culture believes should be the
> punishment for unacceptable behavior.  We have a bunch of really hard laws
> but the liberal, feel-good, nobody is responsible types have made a mockery
> of them and us. (us as the citizens of the US)

Sam, I will assume that you believe that laws are rooted in morality.   If
I am correct then you have made a convining arguements for the exsistance
of situational ethics, at least between cultures.  Granted it is easier
to think of cultural norms being situationally relevant on the small
issues like kissing hello rather than on the larger issues of our day
like abortion but the operational difference is the same.