Heroes & Education

Paul Wybrant JulyFour at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 28 14:44:23 MDT 1995

Folks,

As I said to Bruce, I feel a lot can be said about the infestation
of education with liberal ideology.  I haven't much time outside of
work, but I will continue the research in bits and pieces.

However, just before leaving last week for Seattle, I heard a grandmother
call into a radio talk show.  I paraphrase:

    "My granddaughter, Judy, is in the second grade.  The teacher
    assigned the class a project.  When the work was finished,
    the teacher assigned an "A" grade to Judy's table.  <You know,
    they don't assign grades to individuals.>  Well, Judy thought
    about the grade for a moment and then stood up to tell the
    teacher, 'But that's not fair.  I did ALL of the work for my table.'"

A marvelous story.  What can we learn from it?  First, the practice of
"group think" so now prevalent in schools feels like liberal/communist
ideology to me.   It definitely values the group over the individual.

Doesn't this ideology demand that we avoid measurement of individual
performance?  Measuring individual performance would threaten the
identity of the  group, wouldn't it?

<I have heard, but cannot find the reference, that not a single teacher has
been fired for incompetence in California for the past 20 years (maybe it
was 30 or 40)>

Second, it teaches some children, doesn't it? that they can slide thru
school without expending significant effort.  Of course, life will change
when they leave school and I can imagine that many  will choose
welfare or homelessness or third-rate work instead of a job in which
sliding is unacceptable.

Third, people will learn a false self-esteem.  "I got an 'A' for Judy's work.
Ain't I just simply wonderful for sitting at her table!"

Fourth, many bright people will be demoralized by such a system. " I do
all of the work, but my merit is stolen away by lazy jerks."

Fifth, thank God for little heroes like Judy who refuse to be dumbed down,
and thank God for grown up heroes like Katy who want to give children a
real world education.

Quoting again from John Stuart Mill

         "A general state education is a mere contrivance for moulding
         people to be exactly like one another....  It establishes a
         despotism of the mind."

Regards, PapaPaul