Heroes & Education

Paul Wybrant JulyFour at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 28 19:01:02 MDT 1995

Kate Did Write Between the Braided Lines

<><><><><><><><><><><>
Third, people will learn a false self-esteem.  "I got an 'A' for Judy's
work.  Ain't I just simply wonderful for sitting at her table!"  Fourth,
many bright people will be demoralized by such a system. " I do all of the
work, but my merit is stolen away by lazy jerks." <Papa Paul>

Exactly right, Papa Paul.  Bad students love group work/grades.  Good
students hate it.

Students don't like dumbing down when they know it is happening.  On one
particularly unmotivated day, my college-prep biology class didn't want
to work.  They group-whined, "Why do we have to do this?  We'll never use
this in real life."  I promptly dropped my lesson plan and switched to
something they could use in real life if they kept up the present attitude.
We did a complete lesson on how to construct a "Will Work For Food"
sign.  I demonstrated all the important considerations; its size (drivers
should be able to see it easily from the freeway), construction (it
should be printed on folded, grimy cardboard), and the location of the
bearer (freeway off ramps and corners).  After 15 minutes, the kids
begged to get back to the original subject. :)  Kate (Am I now officially
politically incorrect?)

Laughing and laughing and laughing !!!!

Regards, PapaPaul