Paul Weyrich Is A Hypocrite

Dennis Putnam GTILL at ASNTSU.ASN.NET
Sun Jun 11 16:10:30 MDT 1995

>        Dennis Putnam, & others:
>

>(... 2 lines deleted)
>

>        Did he read the entire article verbatim, or did he select par-
>agraphs that he felt proved his point? If the former, then he didn't get
>it out of context, since he read the whole thing. If the latter, then I
>have to wonder what was in the paragraphs he left out; in which case, he
>may weel have gotten something out of context.

He said it was a side bar article. Only two paragraphs and he read it in
its entirety.

>        I beg to differ. I specifically stated that the Court never
>ruled that religious expression, in public, was illegal, & you specif-
>ically disagreed with me. You stated that they had banned prayer in pub-
>lic schools, & if that wasn't banning religious expression, then you
>didn't know what was. You seem to be backtracking here.

Maybe we have a difference in semantics here. The courts did rule that
prayers expressed out loud were indeed illegal, perhaps further quailifying
that they cannot be lead by officals of the school. That seemed to leave the
door open for students to initiate  prayers on their own but even that is
not allowed any more. Religous 'clubs' have been prohibited from meeting
on school property (atheism clubs are allowed) in at least PA and I
believe several other states. Now, I can't say that was a court ruling
but it is the interpritation by either local or state school officials
so it has the same result. I think the difference is whether we were talking
about silent prayer (a moment of silence if you prefer) as opposed to
prayers spoken aloud and that may be where you though I was backtracking.

>        This has been my whole point all along. I said it two postings
>ago, & you argued the point. Now you agree with me. While I'm glad you
>agree with me, I wonder at the sudden change.

I refer to the previous paragraph. I thought you said the courts never
ruled that prayers cannot be spoken aloud in schools, particulariy (my addition
) initiated by an offical of the school. If you meant that they did not
rule against silent prayer then we always were in agreement except that
some in the education system have taken it upon themselves to even
forbid silent prayer and thus interpret the 1st as freedom FROM religion.