Temptation!

Steve R. Henderson Steve_R._Henderson at BRIDGE.COM
Wed Jun 14 08:25:05 MDT 1995

     >>Well spoken, Miles.  I believe there is another passage in
             the Bible that reflects the sentiment:  God does not tempt
             anyone beyond his/her ability to resist.  Perhaps this is
             one of the messages that we, as members of the human race,
             should spread--the message of hope.<<

I'm not sure who sent the last exchange above (my cc:mail doesn't tell me the
individual unless you sign it). Anyway, I agree with your sentiments, but notice
that the verse you are referring to (see 1 Cor 10:13 below) says nothing about
God DOING the tempting (that would be at odds with the verse I previously quoted
from the book of James - also below), but rather that He will not LET you be
tempted beyond what you are able to resist. There's a big difference.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to
man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye
are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be
able to bear [it].

Again, just the passage from James, just for reference:

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God
cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
James 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and
enticed.