Rational(???) Consumers

Laib, Steve A41 at MDBE.COM
Tue Sep 5 10:11:00 MDT 1995

Will Wrote:

>Steve, considering your last post you will not be surprised to learn then
>that last May(?) when we had a provincial election I went out to do some
>exit polling.  Essentially I asked three questions:

> 1) Which party comes closest to your point of view on the important
issues?
> 2) Which leader would make the best Premier?
> 3) Which local member would do the best job of representing the riding?
> More often than not the replies I got were
> 1) I don't really know
> 2) They are all the same.
> 3) I don't know who they are.

> It was really hard for me to say thank you to those people for
participating
> in my survey.  Reminds me of that definition of stress, "the repression
> to choke the living daylights out of somebody who really deserves it"  It
> really made me think that sometimes 'mandates are nothing more than fads
> of personal popularity +/or political ideals.
Actually, this does not surprise me all that much.  The research I have read
here in the US leads one to believe that there is a substantial number of
people
who ignore politics because they don't think it matters.  They know more
about which car to buy than which candidate stands for what, sorry to say.

Thanks for the interesting item.

Steve Laib
Vice Pres. Frankout 95