Packwood Resigns!

Robert Ostrea raostrea at IX.NETCOM.COM
Fri Sep 8 10:29:22 MDT 1995

Anthony writes:

>But, I heard an interesting point of view today.  The guy basically
said,
>"Look..the guy is a sleeze, but the Republicans ate their own.  The
>Republican majority is too slim to give up the seat.  His point was
that the
>Republicans need every Senate vote they can muster and that the
Republicans
>should have fought for Packwood in the Ethics Committee by demanding
hearings
>on like behavior by Dems.  He readily admitted that it was a purely
political
>response.
>
>I happen to disagree with him for different reasons, but couldn't
argue with
>his point of view.  Just curious what others think about this.

Well, I have always maintained that the Packwood situation was a
definite NEGATIVE for Republicans.  I think the GOP finally realized
that by NOT "eating their own" they would have been eaten themselves by
all the negative publicity.  The GOP has an opportunity to make a
historic mark on Congress, and I think most sensible Republicans didn't
want the Packwood incident to erase all they have accomplished.

Actually, now that the GOP HAS gotten rid of Packwood, they can now
target the Dems and claim that they are indeed non-partisan in their
investigations (Kennedy, Inoue, the Administration, etc...).  Senator
"Babs" Boxer would look even more ridiculous than she already is by
crying foul when the numerous investigations and hearings continue of
members of the Administration!

Of course, I hope the attention will now focus on the budget and other
more important issues, at least for the remainder of this year...

Robert A. Ostrea, Jr.
North Hollywood, CA
RAOstrea at ix.netcom.com

DODGERS!!!