Newt on Packwood resignation

WHITEWB at JCCW22.CC.SUNYJCC.EDU WHITEWB at JCCW22.CC.SUNYJCC.EDU
Mon Sep 11 12:53:00 MDT 1995

From:   NAME: Bill White
        FUNC: HUMANITIES
        TEL: 326/371                          <WHITE, BILL AT A1 AT JCCV03>
To:     IN%"rushtalk at athena.csdco.com"@MRGATE at JCCW22

Newt indicated on Meet the "Depressed" last Sunday that Packwood's leaving
poses some numbers problems for Dole and the GOP leadership.  He pointed out
how important it will be for Republicans to hang together on the GOP
legislative package, while bringing in some necessary votes from DEMs.  He
implied that the next ninety days will be crucial and that competition for the
GOP presidential nomination should be tempered during this period.

He stressed saving medicare, welfare reform with work, lowering taxes to
promote growth, and another plank that escapes me at the moment.  The more I
see of this man the more I like who he is and what he's trying to do.  I am
drawn the the insights of his book.  They are indeed renewing.

I thought he presented himself with sincerity and candor.  He was shown a
courtesy by Tim and other questioners that was considerably elevated over
previous encounters in similar forums.  The "willing accomplices" as RUSH calls
them may be catching a different scent in the wind.  I wonder.