Health Care

Willaim Thurber - PhD Student thurber at FMGMT.MGMT.UTORONTO.CA
Mon Sep 11 13:04:06 MDT 1995

On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Cindy Brewbaker wrote:

> Question:  Are Canadians allowed to sue Drs. for malpractice or whatever?

Yes, but my impression is that we are less likely to do so.  I do not
think this is an indicator of a better quality of care here, just a
societal difference.  Maybe Dr. DJ can add something here.

As an aside he was on our version of C-Span on the weekend as it
broadcast a conference on Health Care Echonomics (sic).  Dr. DJ --  I trust
that was not a WLU student typing the graphics?

> Also, you state CA Drs. have low admin. overhead thus health care is less.
> That makes sense but does not address an issue which seems to be rather
> prevalent in the U.S.  That issue is patient safety during treatment.
> Example: a woman goes in for her annual pap and breast exam.  Drs. have been
> accused of taking advantage of such situations as many still do not have a
> nurse present even tho law requires such.  Does Canadian law require a nurse
> to be present during such examinations/treatment?  Of course, if my Dr. did
> not have a nurse present, I would take the responsibility of requesting one
> prior to the initial exam; for my safety as well as my Drs.

I really don't know, my wife's GP is a woman.  I suspect that there is a
CMA guideline but no legislation but I really don't know.  (Oh I said
that already, sometimes my own ignorance really astounds me.)

We also have a
> problem w/when a health care giver is off duty and are presented w/a
> situation where someone requires emergency care which may perhaps save their
> life but cause the person to have some long term/life long after effects,
> that person sues the caregiver for causing some post accident injury.  Do
> you have such problems w/this in Canada or are caregivers able to provide
> such emergency medical attention w/out fear of being sued?

I really, really don't know.  But I'll try to find out, since, after all
I can talk to my doctor for "free".  (an intentional snide and contempt filled
comment just so you can see my dark side) :)

--Will

PS

My kid starts kindergarten on Friday and is worried that if he doesn't
know what 20 + 20 is they will throw him out.  Should I :

a) reassure him that not knowing is the main reason for going to school
b) reinforce the performance anxiety and tell him he has 72 hours to
figure it out.
c) start saving for Harvard
d) build a new house for him because anybody that smart will probably be
conservative and therefore he will not want to live with his liberal dad.

circle all that apply.