Health Care

Paul A. Keating PKEATING at JCVAXA.JCU.EDU
Mon Sep 11 17:38:36 MDT 1995

>Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 18:23:24 -0400
>From: "Darin H. Deem" <AptMaster at aol.com>
>Subject: Re: Health Care
>
>I like the 20 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean better.  :)  Seriously, what
>if Juries were required to set the amount the lawyers received and
>contingency fees were bagged.  I don't think the lawyers would get 30-40% and
>therefore these lawsuits would stop in a hurry.  Besides look at all the
>stupid personal injury ads on TV we wouldn't have to watch!

        Unfortunately, doing away with contingency fees would hurt those
        who do have valid claims but cannot afford high-priced legal costs.
        Serving those individuals was one of the primary reasons for
        instutiting contingency fees.

        If juries were allows to set fees, and they have proved their
        capriciousness in setting damages, would just compensation be
        awarded?

        The mind boggles!