Guns Figure

Willaim Thurber - PhD Student thurber at FMGMT.MGMT.UTORONTO.CA
Thu Sep 14 09:16:22 MDT 1995

Darin and other NRAers--

Just a few questions on this study.

First, the numbers reported are decreases, but decreases from what,
the previous year, some other earlier time (NRA's critique of CDC), or
compared to unfair +/or unfavourable states in the same year.

Second, the descriptions of the crimes do not match.  I think that
violent crime in favourable states is the same as firearm violent crime in
fair states, but I can't be sure.

Third, how many categories did NRA use and how many states in each category?
You may recall from your college stats that any sample with less than 30
observations is highly susceptible to random effects that are often
reported mistaken for significant results.  If NRA used 4 categories the
expected number of states in each category would be 12.5, not impossible
to draw conclusions,  but certainly more difficult.

Forth, notwithstanding the sample size, the results seem to trend in
favour of more gun control:

violent crime   -22 in favourable states -29 in fair states
homicide        -31 "      "        "    -38 "    "    "
robbery         _36 "      "        "    (not reported)
agg. assault    -14 "      "        "    -38 "     "    "

Fifth, they do not report their findings in states with unfair and/or
unfavourable laws, this prevents the type of complete analysis I would
like to see.

--Will