Health Care

Laib, Steve A41 at MDBE.COM
Fri Sep 15 09:48:00 MDT 1995

> Does Canada follow the English system where the loser pays the costs?

>Sometimes, the loser can be held responsible. I thought the same held for
>the US, No?

>--Will
Generally no.  There are situations where contracts specify if there is
litigation
then the loser pays the winner's costs.  In civil rights litigation against
a govt. entity the govt. pays the costs if they lose.  Otherwise, the
standard pleading
form "for costs of suit" is meaningless.  That's why in US tort cases the
lawyers
always run up a big "Pain and Suffering" case.  That's where their money
comes
from.

Steve (not a Personal Injury Lawyer) Laib