Guns Figure

Darin H. Deem AptMaster at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 15 22:45:07 MDT 1995

In a message dated 95-09-15 16:55:47 EDT, Will writes:

>Darin--
>
>I don't argue the numbers, I question the interpretation of the numbers.
>
>--Will

Robert & Will:

Since you don't trust NRA's interpretation, than I suggest you go to the raw
FBI statistics and make your own judgments. Considering how the press does
not especially pull for the NRA, I think they would have had a cow had NRA
monkeyed with the numbers, don't you think?  Furthermore, I think the NRA
pretty much gave the raw numbers.

In Roberts case, you don't seem to trust the FBI.  I don't know what to tell
you here.  They haven't exactly been NRA fanatics.  Especially given the
current climate where the NRA is very critical of the FBI over Ruby Ridge.
 Common sense tells me that they wouldn't do much to help the NRA.  Or do you
think they like citizens being empowered to protect themselves, personally I
think they'd rather have all the guns in their own hands.  So don't you think
the FBI would have said something if the NRA got it wrong?  Don't you think
anybody would have?

To me these number speak common sense.  If I were a criminal I would be less
likely to go barging into someone's home, if I knew they might be armed.  I'd
sure as heck go after the house with the car out front with the bumper
sticker that said "Love your mother earth".  etc.  Because I'd feel better
that they were liberals who wouldn't dare own a gun.  I'd also high tale it
out of Dodge if the state passed all sorts of new laws to let people conceal
their weapons.  I'd go to somewhere more liberal so I could still have my way
without worrying about losing my life.  We'll only have a problem if all
states adopt these laws, but then again maybe they'll all go to Canada.  Look
out Will. :)

I've put the numbers out on the table and you're welcome to examine them all
you want. My works been done for me by the NRA, you guys will need to do some
research on your own if you wish to pick the numbers apart.  I am certainly
not going to do it for you! Let me know how your research turns out.

-Darin

P.S. You might want to visit the NRA web site for help.  Also you will need
to determine which states NRA considers to be states with "fair" carry laws.
 ie. those states that have passed the NRA legislation allowing citizens with
clean records to get a concealed weapons permit etc.

----Copied-----
This and other information on the Second Amendment and the NRA is
available at any of the following URL's: http://WWW.NRA.Org,
gopher://GOPHER.NRA.Org, wais://WAIS.NRA.Org, ftp://FTP.NRA.Org,
mailto:LISTPROC at NRA.Org (Send the word help as the body of a
message)

Information may also be obtained by connecting directly to the
NRA-ILA GUN-TALK Bulletin Board System at (703) 934-2121.

The Data is once again reprinted for your viewing enjoyment.