Guns Figure

Robert Ostrea raostrea at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sat Sep 16 14:04:34 MDT 1995

Darin writes:

>Robert & Will:
>
>Since you don't trust NRA's interpretation, than I suggest you go to
the raw
>FBI statistics and make your own judgments. Considering how the press
does
>not especially pull for the NRA, I think they would have had a cow had
NRA
>monkeyed with the numbers, don't you think?  Furthermore, I think the
NRA
>pretty much gave the raw numbers.

I understand your position, Darin, I was just playing a little Devil's
Advocate!  I think we (on the right) need to think a little more like
DEvil's Advocates if we really want to make an impact on those on the
left who would love to see all guns outlawed and the Second Amendment
destroyed. Yes, I am weary of the NRA, I personally feel that they are
becoming less concerned with protecting the 2nd Amendment than by
increasing their membership and influence in government.  Although I am
a supporter of the 2nd Amendment and believe in the citizen's right to
bear arms, I would not mind some form of controls that would guarentee
that only law-abiding and trained citizens be allowed to do so.  The
NRA's opposition to mandatory training (licensing) programs and total
uncomprising views on automatic and semiautomatic weapons is a little
unrealistic to me and many others on both sides of the aisle!  Just to
let you know, I do not support the Brady Bill or the "assault" weapons
ban because they do not solve the problems that they were originally
introduced to do - reduce crime.  I am in favor of requiring
individuals to complete a training/safety course (like a driver's test)
and a security check (like they have in Nevada and other states) that
instantaneoulsy certifies that an individual is not an ex-convict or
psycho would be welcome.

As for the FBI, I have very little problem with that organization.
SUre, they have some problems, but that wasn't what I meant in my
earlier post.  Again, I was playing a little Devil's Advocate here.  I
would like to see some research prepared by a non-biased,
non-governmental group which, in my opinion, would be more objective
than studies conducted by either the FBI or the NRA.

Robert A. Ostrea, Jr.
North Hollywood, CA
RAOstrea at ix.netcom.com

DODGERS @ St. Louis TONIGHT!