Guns Figure

Willaim Thurber - PhD Student thurber at FMGMT.MGMT.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Sep 26 11:50:57 MDT 1995

Will asked:
> >What positive contribution has the right to keep and bear arms made to the
> >advancement of American society and/or culture in the last 100 years?

Dennis answered:
> Self protection is the answer to you question.  You hardley ever hear of
> people who use a gun to protect themselves from a would be killer.

But then explain why this need for self protection exists in the US but
(in general) not in other much more "liberal" industrialized societies?
Perhaps this is part of the price to be paid for the tremendous personal
liberties you enjoy.  If this is so then we are back to the old trade off
of personal freedom vs societal well being.

If you agree with that argument, how do you reconcile this with the
"liberalism is the cause of all our social problems" argument?

--Will