Guns Figure

Dennis Putnam putnamd%atlodbs1 at DRAGON.COM
Tue Sep 26 12:57:49 MDT 1995

> But then explain why this need for self protection exists in the US but
> (in general) not in other much more "liberal" industrialized societies?
> Perhaps this is part of the price to be paid for the tremendous personal
> liberties you enjoy.  If this is so then we are back to the old trade off
> of personal freedom vs societal well being.

I don't want to put words in my son's mouth but this question is impossible
to answer. It makes the assumption that the need for self protection exits
only in the US. That is ridiculous, the need for self protection exists anywhere
there are people. Its just that some other countries make it illegal to
protect one's self and family. Fortunately that is not the case in the US
(yet).

> If you agree with that argument, how do you reconcile this with the
> "liberalism is the cause of all our social problems" argument?

Since I don't, there is nothing to reconcile. At least you are seeing the
the light here.

--
Dennis Putnam, Manager
Technical Planning and Services