Guns Figure

David Bell DBELL at SYSUBMC.BMC.COM
Wed Sep 27 07:46:17 MDT 1995

Will,

How can it be circular? You must first disagree that you have the
right to defend yourself, and to do this, you must deny that all specie
have self-defense instincts. You must also, dis-establish the precepts
of John Locke, upon whom much of the fundamental principles of
philosophy of the founding fathers was based.

And further, you must contradict what the founding fathers said and
wrote, even to the point of those who carried arms, for self-protect-
ion.

You have to deny that the creation of the country was based on the
ability to defend oneself on the frontier. You must show that General
Gage did not march on Concord to sieze the weapons and ammunition
even further, you must show that the colonists did not intend to be
armed by act and deed, to defend themselves from government.

I suppose you do not hunt. Hunting and fishing is my most pleasant
pasttime. I also shoot to shoot, perhaps to enjoin a dream of shooting
in national match and national service rifle competition.

The amount of business related to the sport and self defense contributes
greatly to the US economy, not only dollar wise, but technologically.

The restoration of wild game and fish through licensing and volunteer
efforts by hunters and sportsmen, has restored much of the wild game
to the US--this did not occur because of the leftist environmental
movement.

Incidentally, Locke thought the natural right to self defense, one of
the 3 fundamental principles of limiting government. And I know that
if you don't buy into the natural right, you won't buy into this one
either.

David