commerce department future (was Re: Ron Brown)

Dennis Putnam putnamd at ATLODBS1.HAYES.COM
Wed Apr 10 09:45:21 MDT 1996

> You are correct in that 50% of the Commerce Department IS a useless waste of
> money and needs to be cut altogether, but the international trade functions
> of the Commerce Department, specifcally the International Trade
> Administration, provides a much needed and useful service to SMALL and
> medium sized businesses who do NOT have the experience or money to hire
> consultants and lawyers as the BIG corporations do.  I work very closely
> with small businesses in the Greater Los Angeles Area and most of them are
> successful ONLY because of the assistance they receive from Commerce
> programs, such as trade leads, company referrals, trade shows and catalog
> shows sponsored by the Department, trade missions overseas (not those the
> media touts, but those involving the smaller companies), and export
> counseling.  When you consider that a majority of companies that export are
> indeed SMALL businesses, services provided by the Commerce Department are
> very much in demand and actually return a profit to the taxpayer as a result
> of an export transaction that creates jobs and tax revenue in THIS country.
> If we want to increase exports from this country and to compete effectively
> with the rest of the world by introducing US MADE products to other areas of
> the world, we need a focused advocate, such as the Commerce Department, to
> assist U.S. businesses in this effort.  I would also add that the several
> trade missions led by Sec. Brown did result in MANY small businesses in the
> U.S. egaging in new international trade deals with South Africa, India,
> China and the Middle East.

I would not have problem with continuing those few programs that are working
but there is no reason they cannot be moved to the state department. This
eliminates a duplicate bureaucracy and puts international issues in the
state department where it probably belongs anyway.

---
Dennis Putnam, Manager
Technical Planning and Services
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.

Hayes or its management.

"Our Founding Fathers did not create our civil liberties ... They safegarded
them." Tanya Mataksa, NRA-ILA Executive Director.