Character -Reply

Richard Swerdlin Swerdlin at COEFS.COE.UNT.EDU
Sat Apr 20 11:51:00 MDT 1996

Steve Laib:

    As an afterthought, another "conservative" in traditionally
"conservative" Texas has shown his "character" by deciding to plead
"guilty" to religious monkey business, especially with other
citizens' money.  Evidently "conservative" ministers, especially on
the TV circuit preach "character" but seem to define it operationally
it jerked up ways.  Sadly, the above is not the only or isolated case
of such nonsense.

    It also occurred to me that in "conservative" Denton, Texas, the
head of the Grace Temple Baptist daycare operation turned out to be a
*child molester*.  How is this possible?

    In conclusion, we do agree that character is an important
quality.  However, little is gained by playing politics with the
term.

Sincerely,