No subject

JOHN EMERY emery at MARION.ULTRANET.COM
Thu Feb 1 05:26:45 MST 1996

--=====================_823184845==_

Reuters New Media

   Tuesday January 30 7:20 PM EST

Elated Buchanan Sees Momentum After AK Win

   WASHINGTON (Reuter) - An elated Pat Buchanan said Tuesday he
has

   gained momentum with a victory in Alaska's Republican
presidential

   straw poll and believes he could emerge as the key challenger
to Bob

   Dole.

   The conservative television commentator and newspaper
columnist said

   he believes ``we have an opportunity to surge'' against the
rising

   tide of political newcomer Steve Forbes who has moved into
second

   place in Iowa and New Hampshire, which hold key presidential

   preference votes in February.

   In Alaska's non-binding straw vote, Buchanan barely edged out

   publisher Forbes 33 to 31 percent to finish first, leaving
Senate

   Republican Leader Dole back in third place with 17 percent.
Radio talk

   show host Alan Keyes had 10 percent and Texas Sen. Phil Gramm
finished

   fifth with 9 percent.

   Buchanan told a telephone conference of reporters from Iowa,
where he

   is campaigning, that he needs ``a strong showing'' in the
Louisiana

   caucuses to select presidential nominating delegates Feb. 6
but he

   charged the caucus was ``stacked'' in favor of Gramm from
neighboring

   Texas.

   Nevertheless, Buchanan said after his Alaska win against a
big ad

   campaign by Forbes there that he believes someone will break
out of

   the pack to challenge Dole, who is still the frontrunner in
both Iowa

   and New Hampshire in most polls, although Forbes is rising
with a

   barrage of television ads.

   ``The ground troops of the Buchanan brigade defeated the
massive air

   campaign of Malcolm Forbes Jr.,'' Buchanan said of his Alaska
win.

   ``Something that concerns us is that Forbes is surging at a
point that

   somebody has got to break out and now I believe we've got an

   opportunity to surge close to Forbes, if you will,'' he said.

   ``January may have been his month,'' added Buchanan,
''February may be

   our month.''

   He questioned whether Dole could regain momentum in the race,
noting

   especially Dole's televised response to President Clinton's
State of

   the Union message, which was generally panned by both foes
and friends

   of the Senate leader.

   In the crucial first primary in New Hampshire on Feb. 20,
Buchanan

   said that when ``the non-Dole vote'' decides whom to vote for
``I

   think it positions us to move right in there.''

JOHN EMERY
64 BROCKTON AVE
SCITUATE MA 02066
617/545/1680