Abortion -Reply

Dennis Putnam putnamd at ATLODBS1.HAYES.COM
Tue Feb 6 06:49:01 MST 1996

> The question still stands Dennis, you have said that abortion is OK when
> the life of the mother is threatened, please define this for me, is my
> 'relative risk' standard acceptable?  If so since then nearly all
> abortions would be legal by such a standard what limits would you place
> on abortion?

This is a subjective issue and requires the expertise of the medical profession.
I'm not sure how you want me to respond except in an oversimplified manner. If,
in the opinion of a licensed physician (Jack Kevorkian excepted), the life
of the mother is at risk if the pregnancy is carried to term then abortion
becomes and acceptable option. I say option because there are many cases
where the mother has decided to sacrifice her life so her baby can live. Where
things get sticky is the argument that any pregnancy can put a mother's life
at risk. In that sense then your reference to 'relative risk' does apply but
I hasten to add that the vast majority of abortions have nothing to do with
'relative risk' but are a matter of convienence.

---
Dennis Putnam, Manager
Technical Planning and Services
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.

Hayes or its management.

"Our Founding Fathers did not create our civil liberties ... They safegarded
them." Tanya Mataksa, NRA-ILA Executive Director.