Buchanan & Others

Robert A. Ostrea, Jr. RAOstrea at IX.NETCOM.COM
Fri Feb 9 12:38:13 MST 1996

BRUCE----->
>    Have to plead ignorance on this one. However, MY alternative, at
>this point, is Colin Powell. I know he's not officially running -- but,
>barring some sudden, unforeseen scandal, he's getting my vote in Nov-
>ember as a write-in.

Hmmm.  What if Powell accepted a VP slot with Dole?  Would that ticket get
your vote?

>>>2. Where was Pat Buchanan, when we fought in Vietnam? Where, for that
>>>matter, were Newt Gingrich, George Will, William Safire, Phil Gramm,
>>>& Rush Limbaugh?
>
>>Gingrich, George Will, William Safire and Rush Limbaugh's avoidance of
>>the war is irrelevant as none of them are running for President...
>
>    Hypocracy is no longer wrong, then?

I think you;re missing the point.  The problem with Clinton is that he
sought to be exempt from the draft AND protested the war and his country ON
FOREIGN SOIL.  This is a grave insult to all those who served this country
for that cause, whether you agree with the war or not.  I don't agree with
our mission in Bosnia, but I will damn well support the troops and my
country!  That's the issue.  I personally don't care if the next President
served or not...

>>In Kuwait, it was a containment issue and an oil preservation issue.
>
>    Notice how no-one is trying to defend it as a "moral" issue any
>more, or as our "defending democracy"; we openly acknowledge that it
>was all about oil & political power to begin with. Note, Robert, that
>I am NOT specifically aiming these observations at you; I'm comment-
>ing on what you said.

I would agree with your assessment here, Bruce.  I have ALWAYS thought of
the Gulf War as a containment issue and IMO it was necessary to get
involved.  Bosnia is a civil war and we shouldn't be involved, rather the
Europeans should be more active in this area. I don't know why many Gulf War
supporters used the "moral" argument as it was clearly a move to check
Saddam's army and guarentee access of oil.

>>The fact that you are inhaling makes a LOT of things clear while
>>reading your comments, Bruce! ;-D
>
>    Smiley noted, & chuckled over. Please, though -- elaborate? What,
>exactly, was made more clear by knownig that I inhaled while writing
>that?
>    I note that you are the only one to comment on it publicly. Is ev-
>eryone else stewing, or simply ignoring me? :)

I'm glad you had a good chuckle, for that was my only purpose! Of course, in
your state of mind ANYTHING I could have written would have caused you to
chuckle :D  I was referring to your libertarian views on the many issues we
discuss on this list.  Although I disagree with some of your assessments, I
do find it refreshing to hear disagreement from someone who is NOT liberal!!!

>>GO DODGERS!!!!!!!
>
>    Straight to the top, in '96!!!!!

ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP!  The Braves have already won their WS, now it's time
for them to step aside!!

Robert A. Ostrea, Jr.
North Hollywood, CA
RAOstrea at ix.netcom.com

GO DODGERS!!!!!!!
GO FORMER SEATTLE (NOW ANAHEIM, LA, PASADENA) SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!