Racism and Affirmative Action

Willaim Thurber - PhD Student thurber at FMGMT.MGMT.UTORONTO.CA
Fri Feb 9 14:31:32 MST 1996

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Jim Kitzmiller wrote:

<really funny stuff snipped>

> What do you suppose other businesses would look like if no racial
> biases or other artificial means were used in making the hiring decisions?
>
> I know the ballet companies would look petty much like they look now,
> orchestras are good, so are blues bands, country music and rock n roll
> bands, opera houses (at least on the stage), baseball teams and other
> sports, movie stars, even the Morman Tabernacle Choir (are they paid?),
> comedians.
>
> Do any of these have any affirmative action requirements?  Why? or
> Why not?

They all have affirmative action or rather laws prohibiting
discrimination to which they must conform, at least if they are dealing
in interstate commerce.  OTOH, there has been much made of the lack of
black quaterbacks and head coaches in football and the lack of black
managers in baseball but no action as far as I know in terms of AA.
Perhaps this is because the sample size is so small in each case that the
bais can be shown to exist across the league but not when you must find a
single team guilty.  I return to my coin example, when you flip it once
and it comes up heads is that a biased coin?  Likewise when you are
hiring only one coach, hard to show that an individual decision is/was
biased.  Contrast this with a firm like General Motors that hires people
for equivalent postions.

--Will