Racism and Affirmative Action -Reply

Laib, Steve A41 at MDBESF.MDBE.COM
Fri Feb 9 15:15:00 MST 1996

Richard Swerdlin wrote:
>    I do not believe that we have moved "backwards" in relations, on
>balance.  Changes occur slowly.  They seldom reflect a uniform
>profile.

>    In part, the above general remarks are promoted by having seen
>things as they were when I started college and later entered the
>military service.  The same could be said of other types of
>experiences in both North and South.
 -------------------
Interesting.  Here, where I work the firm has a practice of trying to
balance hiring in the interest of politics, as well as prestige.

But the black lawyers who are hired segregate themselves and
do not socialize with the others, 90 % of the time.

Another interesting item.  I used to compete on the Swing Dance
circuit.  Swing is a family of dances developed from Lindy which
came out of the Harlem night clubs.  It was a "black dance" style.
Today if you see a black person who knows swing, they are
maybe 1 in 1000.  Rare as hen's teeth.

Steve Laib
Atty. and Philosopher