A commentator as President?

Laib, Steve A41 at MDBESF.MDBE.COM
Wed Feb 21 10:01:00 MST 1996

There is nothing wrong with a commentator as president, if he were able to
get elected, and if we could give him a congress which would back him up
from start to finish.

The trouble is that the press will spike Pat's campaign.  Look at what
happened
to Mr. Pratt.  They won't attack him directly, they'll just say "Buchanan
has racists
working for him", and "the KKK supports Buchanan", etc.  The public will
desert him like rats from a sinking ship.

I actually think that Buchanan could do a good job as a leader if he
surrounded
himself with the right people.  That was Mr. Reagan's strength.  He had good
help at all levels.  It was a quality administration top to bottom.  There
were very
few, if any litmus tests on issues.  That's where I think Pat goes wrong.
 He is
too driven by issue tests which are either yes or no.  No compromise is
possible.  This opens the door for him being labeled as an extremist.
 That's
his weakness.

Steve Laib
Atty. and Philosopher