Dept. of Ed - Reply -Reply -Reply

Cindy Brewbaker 17872clb at MSU.EDU
Wed Feb 28 07:45:52 MST 1996

I think I'll respond to this one. I agree w/your statement in that athletics
and social stuff need de-emphasizing BUT to a degree. My daughters are
deeply involved in athletics as are my husband and I. We encourage them to
always become involved in athletic opportunities as well as social programs
and to do their best. BUT, we the parents take responsibility in making it
very clear that academics come first. If they fall down in the academics,
they are not allowed to participate in athletics or social events. I realize
you were probably not inferring that the schools/whatever eliminate
athletic/social programs. I'm merely expounding on the idea that parents are
responsible for setting a pattern for their children to follow.  Without
parents lead, where would our children receive their direction?
Unfortunately from the school/gov't. and I sure don't want that for my
children nor any others for that matter.  I believe extra curricular
activities do provide a certain level of learning for children. They
(hopefully) teach children how to work with others as a team, how to get
along w/various personalities, how to share in the glory as well as
disappointments, how to strive for ones personal best. I do not want this or
any gov't to take away any aspect of our childrens learning and that
includes extra curriculars as well as academics. All areas of learning are
so very important in the growth of a well rounded, balanced, high moral
individual.  I am very proud to say that my daughters are both on their
schools honor roll. One is in parochial school (its a K-6 school) and the
other is in her first year in public school (sadly). But we keep very close
tabs on what and how the teachers perform in class. I'm not intimidated by
any one of them and will let them know if they aren't teaching up to my
expectations and standards. So far our public school seems ok. I just pray
OB doesn't take as deep a foothold as it has in Calif.  Just my 3-sense
worth!
Cindy B. :)

P.S. Yes, unfortunately there is a tremendous emphasis on the athletics in
most school systems; ours included. But as I said, it's up to parents to
buffer that w/their children. Also unfortunate is the fact that some
coaches, if faced w/a parental confrontation, will punish the kids by
benching them. Truly sad when priorities are so twisted. It all comes down
to that almighty dollar that athletics brings into the school. After all,
academics is not a revenue generating activity!