Affirmative Action

Robert A. Ostrea, Jr. RAOstrea at IX.NETCOM.COM
Thu Feb 29 11:03:38 MST 1996

At 09:10 AM 2/29/96 PST, Steve wrote:
>If Prop 187 is any indicator, CCRI will pass by a 60/40 margin.
>Then some federal judge will say that equal rights are
>unconstitutional.

I agree that the proposition will overwhelmingly pass, especially if OJ is
acquitted in the civil suit against him before the elections in November.
However, I don't believe there is ANYTHING in the Constitution that
prohibits a state policy which requires that everyone be treated equally?
You're the attorney, am I wrong?  CCRI merely states that no one shall be
discriminated nor given preferential treatment based on their race, sex,
creed, religion, etc...  It simply re-affirms the Constitution, IMO.  Is
there any other provisions in CCRI that would be questioned by the Court?
If so, wouldn't just THAT portion of the provision be stricken down, rather
than the entire CCRI?