Internet access on the road ( was Re: Tax Question)

Dennis Putnam putnamd at ATLODBS1.HAYES.COM
Sat Jul 6 13:13:23 MDT 1996

> I assume that you are traveling and are still accessing Internet. Does your
> server
> have an 800 number and do you use a laptop. Is this too early to to go that
> route?
> My wife and I are authors and travel in our motorhome but want to keep in
> touch with the info available through Internet. Your advice will be
> appreciated. JB
> --

 Right now I'm using an 800 line to my employer's terminal server. Since I
have to check my other mail I do this too. We have only UUCP mail except to
our Web page (www.hayes.com and www.practinet.com). My current project to
finish when I get back from vacation is to hook up a firewall and put the
corporate net on the internet. I am between homes right now and will be moving
from Huntsville, AL to the Atlanta area in 2 weeks (right at the beginning
of the Olympics, yeech). So that is why I am getting personal mail at
my business address but that will change after the move and I get my own
internet connection.

I plan to use a local provider, they have an 800 number but it is pretty
expensive to use. I don't have much need for access to my personal internet
account  when out of town so I'm not worried about it. I think there are some
national providers that allow access from anywhere and are not too expensive.
IDI comes to mind but I don't know their 800 voice number (you can probably get
it from 800 directory assistance), they advertise on Rush's radio show all the
time in Huntsville. My laptop is OK for a week or two but it is really too
small (keyboard & display) to do a lot of e-mail and internet stuff for very
long. If you are going to be on the road a lot I think you will find a laptop
unsatisfying, particularily if you have to use it a lot.

It seems to me a motorhome could accomodate a full size PC with a normal
monitor. The problem is how would you access a phone line unless parked
at a full service camping facility? Do you plan to use cellular technology?
If so, I guess the 800 access charges would be the least of your costs.

---
Dennis Putnam, Manager
Technical Planning and Services
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.

Hayes or its management.

"Our Founding Fathers did not create our civil liberties ... They safegarded
them." Tanya Mataksa, NRA-ILA Executive Director.