Some cussin'? Here?

Willaim Thurber - MKTG PhD Student thurber at FMGMT.MGMT.UTORONTO.CA
Mon Jul 8 06:15:15 MDT 1996

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, John B Hammer wrote:

> To certain RUSHTALK subscribers; you know who you are:
> There has been a complaint about profane language here on RUSHTALK.

*** SNIP ***

Thanks for setting the record straight.  I didn't make the original
complaint, but I do prefer civil discussion.

That said, I would be remiss in mt duties as official feces disturber if I
did not expand upon a question I put forth earlier.  We agree that certain
words, which we label profane, should not be used because they offend some
people.  However, when some people complain that they find other words
offensive, such as nigger, spic, canuck etc. you condemn those
individuals as politically correct facists.  I understand that there may
be a continuum between the "reasonable" request i.e. don't call me nigger
to the "unreasonable" request i.e. don't call me bald, I'm follically
impaired.  My question is two fold: Is profanity just a subset of
politically inncorrect speech?  And, what criteria do we use to determine
what is reasonably PC and unreasonably PC?

BTW not completely unrelated, I note that within the last month many of
you were prepareed to forgive a new member of this list for their many
spelling mistakes because of a pre-existing psychological pathology ( I
think he claimed ADD).  Can I presume then that you will forgive the
person who started the fire in the Michigan fireworks store because he
also has a pre-existing (and probably much more seroius) psychological
disorder?

--Will