Fwd: >> Dole campaign official quits, may admit laundering funds <<

JOHN EMERY emery at MARION.ULTRANET.COM
Mon Jul 8 19:46:33 MDT 1996

>Subject: Fwd: >> Dole campaign official quits, may admit laundering funds <<
>

>PAGE A4 I SATURDAY, JULY 6, 1996 ~                         Zlle ll~bi
>
>Dole campaign official quits, may admit laundering funds
>

>By Joe Stephens
>KANSAS CITY STAR
>
> A vice chairman of Bob Dole's presidential campaign has re- signed amid
>reports that he plans to admit in court that campaign contributions were
>laundered ille- gally through his New England pool-toy company.
>
> Simon C. Fireman of Boston, whose employees allegedly were reimbursed for
>their contribu- tions to Mr. Dole, recently quit his post as a national vice
>chairman of finance for the campaign, Dole spokeswoman Christina Martin said
>Thursday.
>
> The campaign would not com- ment on reports that Mr. Fireman had reached a
>plea agreement with federal prosecutors that would result in a multimillion-
>dollar fine.
>
> Sources within Mr. Fireman's company, Aqua-Leisure Indus- tries, contend
>that the millionaire businessman recently had com- pleted the plea
>agreement. Details are expected to be made public next week.
>
> In recent weeks, contributors affiliated with the pool-toy manu- facturer
>have testified before a grand jury in downtown Boston. Several employees
>said they con- firmed under oath that Mr. Fire- man's executive assistant
>had asked them to contribute to the Dole campaign, then reimbursed them with
>stacks of $1OO bills.
>
> Federal laws restrict individual contributions to $1,OOO each and forbid
>reimbursing anyone for a contribution. .
>
> Last year, Aqua-Leisure em- ployees, the company's sales rep- resentatives
>and their families sent more than 5O separate checks to the campaign,
>totaling $55,OOO. The contributions turned Aqua- Leisure's small work force
>into one of Mr. Dole's largest sources of in- dividual campaign
>contributions.
>
> The gifts came not only from top managers at Aqua-Leisure, but also from
>secretaries, a book-   keeper and a warehouse manager. Each gift was for
>$1,OOO, and as many as 12 contributions flowed into the campaign on a single
>day.
>
> Several witnesses said they and other employees provided per- sonal bank
>records and company financial reports to the grand jury and FBI agents. The
>grand jury also has questioned former Aqua- Leisure employees who contend
>they were reimbursed for contri- butions sent to George Bush's 1992
>presidential campaign.
>
> In April, when the Kansas City Star first reported the money- laundering
>allegations, Mr. Fire- man denied any wrongdoing, as did his executive
>assistant, Carol Nichols.
>
> Mr. Fireman's attorney refused to comment Thursday about the reported plea
>agreement.
>
> The federal prosecutor han- dling the case was on vacation Thursday and
> [...]
JOHN EMERY
64 Brockton Ave
Scituate Ma 02066
617 545 1680

"When all government domestic and foreign,in little as in great things,shall
be drawn to Washington as the center of all power,it will render powerless
the checks of one government on another,and will become as venal as the
government from which we seperated."
Thomas Jefferson 1821