Affirmative Action and the CCRI

Edward Dunai edward01 at IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue Jul 23 21:19:47 MDT 1996

Stephen,
        I agree that there are still problems out there, and make no
claims that racism is dead, however, being both an eternal optimist and a
great idealist, I see no problem questing after the dream articulated by
Dr. King.  I have few, if any, problems with the goals and aims of
Affirmative Action, I agree that the government was required, out of
simple justice, to step in to ensure a level, fair playing field.  I
believe that discrimination based on cosmetics differences is utterly
unacceptable.  However, I firmly believe that the current setup of
Affirmative Action has degenerated to the point of becoming a form of
reverse discrimination.
        What I would propose to help solve the problem is that we make,
as a society, a committment to education at all levels.  That we search
for ways to make our schools perform their intended function: producing
an educated citizenry.  We must ensure that every child receives, at
minimum, a first-rate, public education through 12th grade.  I personally
support school-choice voucher plans analogous to the Milwaukee model
endorsed by Mayor Norquist.
        I would further propose that we, as a nation, rise up and condemn
any racial or ethnic separitist movements, as, IMO, both the Aryan Nation
and the Nation of Islam are equally repugnant, equally racist, equally
wrong.  I would dearly love to see the day when we no longer defined
ourselves as hyphenated Americans, but rather joined together as
AMERICANS, to solve our problems together.  I will be the first to admit
that this great nation isn't perfect, but that doesn't stop me from
aspiring to bring it to that exalted state.  IMO, it is vital for all
Americans to join together, as a people, to solve the great injustice
which is racism, but at the same time, let us be ever vigilant, that we
prevent the surrendering of our vital liberties in this process.  It is
imperative that we succeed in this crusade, the consequences if we fail
do not bear consideration.
Edward
                Check out my new Web Page at:
                        HTTP://WWW.PUBLIC.ASU.EDU/~EDWARD01/INDEX.HTML
                If any of you have got links which you would like to see
                added or graphics you think would be cool, please feel free to
                let me know!