Affirmative Action and the CCRI

Willaim Thurber - MKTG PhD Student thurber at FMGMT.MGMT.UTORONTO.CA
Thu Jul 25 21:15:46 MDT 1996

On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> Non-sequitor. Equal creation does not equate to equal development and thus
> defines a major difference between conservatism and liberalism.

Dennis not to frighten you too much but we agree that mearly possessing the
tools is not enough, you must be able to work with them in a productive
fashion.  The real difference between us is that C's look at unequal
development and say "You lose".  Libs look at unequal development and say
"Why?"  This is apt illustrated with RFK's quote "...I look at the world
and say why not."

> The conservative view point is yes all are created equal and given the
same set of tools.
> What one does with them is another issue. Liberalism beleives that those who
> work and reap rewards should be punished by forcing them to give what they
> earned to those that were unwilling to work just as hard for themselves.

Dennis, seriously give it up.  No liberal that I know wants to punish
anybody for success.  As for branding that percentage of the black race
that is unemployed as being "unwilling to work" (that appears to be your
meaning, that the race gap in employment exists only because that group
doesn't try hard enough) starts you down a path that I do not think you
wish to go.  Can you please clarify?

BTW I can cite you a number of academic studies that show the extent of
latent racism that exists.  Basically they all say that many people use
skin colour as a proxy for qualification, since this is so hard to prove
on an individual case all we are left with is aggregating the numbers.

Also you do not address my contention that AA actually helps to introduce
the pressure of the into correcting faults in the educational system, you
do not generally shy away from the market, why are you not willing to let
the market place contribute to solving this problem?

--Will