Reference to the term 'American' (was Re: Re[2]: Affirmative Action and the CCRI)

Dennis Putnam putnamd at ATLODBS1.HAYES.COM
Fri Jul 26 06:30:09 MDT 1996

> Sorry, we cannot be called only "Americans" because the entire Western
> Hemisphere: North Americans, Central Americans and South Americans are
> also Americans. If we go to each of the other American countries and ask
> them to no longer be called American and let we, Middle North Americans
> use the identity exclusively can we be called "Americans". We are greatly
> outnumbered and I doubt that we could ever legally control this title. If you
> aren't a minority that has been assigned an ethnic ID, your only choice is
> legally recognized, "white", or more accurately, European American if your
> origins were from Britain, East/West Europe and/or Scandinavia.We are
> attempting to get recognition European Americans as a choice in harmony
> with the African Americans, Asian Americans and Hispanic Americans which
> will help to place EAs on a level civil rights playing field with the others.We
> cannot arbitrarily monopolize the term "American".  JB.

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

>From now on, for the rest of my life, any reference to 'American' or 'Americans'
I make on this list is intended to mean 'US American'.  This is a shorthand
term to minimize typing and is in no way intended to monopolize the term in
deference to all non-US Americans. And any time I wish to refer to non-US
Americans I will explicitly indicate the distinction.

That having been said please stop your religious war over Americans using
that term to refer to themselves. Any others on this list that wish to make
the same distinction so we can put this nit-picking to rest please send
dittos to JB. :-)

---
Dennis Putnam, Manager
Technical Planning and Services
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc.

Hayes or its management.

"Our Founding Fathers did not create our civil liberties ... They safegarded
them." Tanya Mataksa, NRA-ILA Executive Director.