The Use of the Term, "Americans"

William B. White WHITEWB at JCCW22.CC.SUNYJCC.EDU
Fri Jul 26 11:28:58 MDT 1996

From:   NAME: Bill White
        FUNC: HUMANITIES
        TEL: 326/371                          <WHITE, BILL AT A1 AT JCCV03>
To:     IN%"rushtalk at athena.csdco.com"@MRGATE at JCCW22

JB,

        I agree with PapaPaul and Dennis that term, "American" is used
throughout the world to refer to citizens of the United States.  People from
Columbia, for example, are not called Americans; they are called Columbians or
South Americans.  This is simply the way it is. Is is really necessary to try
renaming everybody because you imagine this is the way it should be?  Are
Columbians seriously petitioning the court of public opinion to be called
Americans?

        Since the term American is usually positive to neutral in connotation,
I have no objection to being known as an American.  OTOH, the term "Yankee"
seems to have negative (angry to mocking) connotations among some peoples from
Britian to China.  I am not particularly pleased to be called "Yankee" by
people from other nations.

Bill White