Alan Keyes on libertarianism (fwd)

Edward Dunai darkside at ASU.EDU
Fri Jul 26 12:10:56 MDT 1996

Everyone,
=09Just thought that ya'll would be interested in this, especially=20
as it relates to the future of this nation.
Edward

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 09:59:39 -0700
From: Phil Graf <philgraf at dsp.com>
To: Bob James <aoc-l at lists.io.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Alan Keyes on libertarianism (fwd)

>Well, I'm no
>>saint....)   :^)
>
>No more are any of us...  :)

Well I am!  Just ask me.  Actually, the saintly guy wrote a bunch of nice s=
tuff many years ago. Here is a piece which should have been included in Ben=
nett's Book of Virtues:

Chivalry
by  Arthur Mee, Associate Editor, Compton=B9s Encyclopedia, 1927
Adapted & edited by Philip Graf from =B3Little Talks On Great Things,=B2

Most everyone has heard of the chivalry of King Arthur and the Knights of t=
he Round Table. Perhaps the legends are true =8B perhaps not.  But all thro=
ugh the world, throughout history, there have been men and women who, like =
King Arthur=B9s fabled Knights of Camelot, have been living examples of  ho=
nor and fairness =8B living examples of chivalry.

When their stories are known, these souls shine, sometimes, like bright sta=
rs in the night. But mostly, history overlooks them, and they belong to tha=
t unsung and un-numbered host of those who come in to this world to live un=
selfish lives, to do great things in countless little ways, and to pass unk=
nown, save by the few who never cease to mourn them.

These are the chivalrous, the members of that mighty Table Round to which a=
ll honorable souls belong.  They do not ride in gallant company to tourname=
nts. Their deeds are not cried out to all the world. But through the exampl=
e of their lives, they  sow the seeds of chivalry not less than did King Ar=
thur=B9s knights, so long ago.

For Chivalry is within the reach of us all.  One of the noblest characteris=
tics of man, we can wake up, whether rich or poor, and possess it every mor=
ning.  Chivalry has in it the love of courtesy; the courage that never quai=
ls; the will to suffer great trials for the sake of others; the zeal that d=
edicates life to great causes; a boundless pity for the poor; the burning p=
assion to right a wrong; the scorn of scorns for cruelty; and the heart of =
hearts for all that is generous, and helpful, and true.  These are the virt=
ues which combine in the chivalrous, and they are fine equipment for the ba=
ttle of life, indeed.

You are never afraid of a chivalrous man.  You may trust him in all times a=
nd places.  You may leave everything you own in his hands.  He would not do=
 you wrong. He would not lie to you. He would die first.

There was a Red Indian who made himself chief of a tribe against the tribe=
=B9s will, but they had to submit because the chief had the help of America=
n soldiers.  But the tribe secretly arranged with a young Sioux named Crowd=
og that if ever the chief was false, Crowdog must kill him.

The time came when Crowdog had to be true to his vow, and he killed the fal=
se chief.  The United States government sentenced Crowdog to death.  A few =
days before he was to die, Crowdog asked for leave to visit his wife and hi=
s two little boys.  There was something fine about the men who had charge o=
f Crowdog, and they trusted the man who had been sentenced to death.  They =
let him go home.

Crowdog went home, kissed his wife and their two little boys, and then he w=
ent back to die.  He was as chivalrous as the men who trusted him.  He woul=
d rather lose his life than his honor.

But it is good to be able to say, that he kept them both, for the story of =
Crowdog was told in the newspapers, and it touched the great heart of the A=
merican people.  The story of his vow was told, and Crowdog was pardoned.

Chivalry is not always so well rewarded. In the days of Rome, a man named R=
egulus was a prisoner in Carthage.  The Carthaginians sent Regulus to Rome,=
 with orders to counsel the Romans to a dishonorable peace. Regulus had to =
give his word to return and report the Roman reply.  He did go to Rome, but=
 urged his country not to make this dishonorable peace.  Then he went back =
to his captors and paid for his courageous counsel with his life.  There wa=
s no reason at all why Regulus had to return and die =8B save that he loved=
 his honor more than his life.

How many people remember the American general to whom a British officer off=
ered a bribe of  $50,000?
=B3Gentlemen, I am poor,=B2 he said, =B3but your king is not rich enough to=
 buy me.=B2
Never yet has king or government been rich enough to buy an honest man, and=
 never yet has chivalry been bought.  It is free wherever the sun shines, f=
ree in the blackest night, but millions of dollars cannot buy it.

The Chivalrous were to be as Arthur described the founding of the Round Tab=
le:
=B3A glorious company, the flower of men,
To serve as model for the mighty world,
And be the fair beginning of a (new) time...
And Arthur=B9s knights swore,
=B3To ride abroad redressing human wrongs;
To speak no slander, nor listen to it;
To honor his own word as if it were God=B9s;
..to keep down the base in man,
(and) teach high thought, and amiable words,
And courtliness, and the desire of good fame,
And love of Truth, and all that makes a man.

Can you imagine the world made up of men and women with such noble qualitie=
s? Things that break our hearts would pass away, and earth would be like he=
aven.  How sweet it would be, to be able to trust another=B9s word; to be a=
ble to walk on any street, or play in any park; to leave our homes and cars=
 unlocked, knowing that no person, whether friend or stranger, would even t=
hink to take that which was not theirs.

Through all the years of this country, our flag has stood for the chivalry =
of our nation.  Though there are some who hold the flag in low esteem, and =
would descrate it, they are misguided, for our flag has caught in its folds=
, the spirit of all that is best within us all; of all that is the heart an=
d soul of America. It stands proudly, for the chivalry to which all true Am=
ericans aspire.

Braving the winds at sea, it has caught up the dauntless spirit of men like=
 Farragut and John Paul Jones.  Flying over battlefields, it has caught the=
 glow of men like Washington and MacArthur.  Caressing thousands of rows of=
 white crosses, it has reflected the courage of those who have given =B3the=
 last full measure of devotion=B2 to their family, their friends, their cou=
ntry and their God.

The American flag has shared the adventures, the thrills, the pride and the=
 terror of those who have gone out to explore new lands as Peary did; or of=
 those who laid down their lives for others, as Pvt. John Kissinger did in =
the great campaign to conquer yellow fever.

Chivalry has captured the hearts of men everywhere. It was the secret of th=
e British Empire. It is at the heart of the United States of America.  It w=
as the secret of the American and Allied armies in two great World War s.  =
All the world saw then, supreme examples of chivalry among great hosts of m=
en who gave their lives for Liberty.

It is for us to see that this spirit lives on, that we cherish justice for =
all, and never fear to stand up, not for who is right, but for what is righ=
t.  The acts of our lives define our souls, and make up our nation.  Nothin=
g that we do is quite without its influence in the world.  Let us bear ours=
elves to all with courtesy and honor and goodwill.  Let us be ready to forg=
et ourselves. If lose we must, let us suffer loss with good cheer.  More th=
an this have others borne for our sake.

Wherever our flag flies, wherever Americans gather, we must always seek the=
 good and noble ways.  We must keep burning, through whatever dark days may=
 be, the precious lamp of Chivalry.