TWA Flt. 800

Edward Dunai darkside at ASU.EDU
Sat Jul 27 10:35:36 MDT 1996

Everyone,
        I am sure that everyone on this list joins me in extending
condolences and prayers to the families of the victims of flight 800.
IMO, this tragic explosion was caused by neither an onboard bomb nor
mechanical failure but rather it was caused by a shoulder-fired
surface-to-air missile.  Nearly 80 eyewitness accounts all agree that
they saw a "streak" rising from the ocean surface to connect with the
airliner, just as the airliner exploded.  The media and the authorities
have scoffed at this notion, stating that no shoulder fired missile could
reach 13,000 feet.  However, while the Stinger is indeed rated as only
being effective up to 9000 feet, this rating reflects engineering
conservatism rather than an actual limit.  Moreover, this rating is an
"effective" range rather than a "maximum" range.  The effective range
rating on a Stinger is determined by how far it can travel while pursuing
a rapidly manuevering target.  In this case, however, we have an
extremely large target with an extremely strong thermal signature moving
along at a constant velocity, which presents a target which the Stinger
can strike out to nearly 20000 feet.  I heard rumbles that the FBI is
investigating a marina near the crash scene from which a yacht was
renting the evening of the accident.  If it indeed was a missile attack,
then all the increased security at our airports will not amount to
anything.  Our only defense is to seek out these cowards and destroy them
in the dens of evil that they pollute.  We must crush them, root and
branch, before we can claim to have made progress in air safety.  Almost
as many people have died in this attack and the Lockerbie attack as at
Pearl Harbor, and we ent to war because of that...

|         Darkside at ASU.EDU                              |
|  http://www.public.asu.edu/~edward01/index.html       |
| "In this present crisis, government                   |
|  is not the solution to our problems,                 |
|  government IS the problem.                           |
|                       Ronaldus Magnus                 |