TWA Flt. 800

Mel Charters mcharter at CALLAMER.COM
Sat Jul 27 13:25:32 MDT 1996

>Everyone,
>  I am sure that everyone on this list joins me in extending
>condolences and prayers to the families of the victims of flight 800.
>IMO, this tragic explosion was caused by neither an onboard bomb nor
>mechanical failure but rather it was caused by a shoulder-fired
>surface-to-air missile.  Nearly 80 eyewitness accounts all agree that
>they saw a "streak" rising from the ocean surface to connect with the
>airliner, just as the airliner exploded.  The media and the authorities
>have scoffed at this notion, stating that no shoulder fired missile could
>reach 13,000 feet.  However, while the Stinger is indeed rated as only
>being effective up to 9000 feet, this rating reflects engineering
>conservatism rather than an actual limit.  Moreover, this rating is an
>"effective" range rather than a "maximum" range.  The effective range
>rating on a Stinger is determined by how far it can travel while pursuing
>a rapidly maneuvering target.  In this case, however, we have an
>extremely large target with an extremely strong thermal signature moving
>along at a constant velocity, which presents a target which the Stinger
>can strike out to nearly 20000 feet.  I heard rumbles that the FBI is
>investigating a marina near the crash scene from which a yacht was
>renting the evening of the accident.  If it indeed was a missile attack,
>then all the increased security at our airports will not amount to
>anything.  Our only defense is to seek out these cowards and destroy them
>in the dens of evil that they pollute.  We must crush them, root and
>branch, before we can claim to have made progress in air safety.  Almost
>as many people have died in this attack and the Lockerbie attack as at
>Pearl Harbor, and we went to war because of that...

Has anyone, besides myself, heard that there may have been military
activities in progress about 8 miles from the scene at the time of TWA 800
disaster? A caller to the "Black Avenger" program made this statement. Just
one call, no corroboration. I tend to think it was just speculation, but
you never know.

Mel Charters