Affirmative Action and the CCRI

Stephen A Frye safrye at CCGATE.DP.BECKMAN.COM
Mon Jul 29 16:45:17 MDT 1996

>I challenge the group to do what Dennis cannot or will not -- show how
>or why quotas are wrong if you accept the premise that the races are
>equal.

You have to be kidding?  Equal in what respect - rights, opportunities,
training?  All people are different in the areas of opportunities and
training.  If we were all the same you could hire the first person to
come in off the street.  But that is not the case.  Regardless of race
or origin etc. people differ in their character, talents, and abilities
- and should be judged solely on same.

The problem with quotas is that we are forced to hire people that may
not be qualified - or forced to overlook people who may be more
qualified.  On the other hand, without legislation, we have proved that
we are free to not hire qualified people simply because we do not like
their color.  Both of these extremes are wrong.

Stephen Frye