Rush not having a good day

Dennis Putnam dap at ILINKS.NET
Thu Oct 10 22:02:49 MDT 1996

On Thu, 10 Oct 96 11:31:41 PDT  , William Thurber wrote:

> Basically we agree, but I wrote a paper once conrending that all
persuaion
> maessages are at least implicitly fear based.  If Tide is the best
> detergent, then the implicit claim is that your clothes will be dirty =
if
> you use Cheer.  I really stole the idea from Ayn Rand who
condemed
> patriotism because of its implict claim that other nations were
inferior.

> It would be equivalent to my claim that the Rep. campaign is fear
based
> because they claim that we will be worse off under Clinton than
Dole.
> What I have never been able to sort out is the difference in the
amount of
> fear used.  For example, a ad campaign that says that if X is
elected the
> government will confiscate all your property is a stronger use of fear
> than one that says if Y is elected you won't be allowed to turn right =

on
> red anymore.  In the absence of independant measures of fear we
only have
> subjective evaluation.

--------- End quoted message ----------

Come one Will, telling seniors they will be thrown out in to the streets =

without any health care, telling children they will starve because they =

won't get lunch at school, telling Americans they will have to breathe =

poisoned air, drink poisoned water and eat poisoned food totally
eliminates any subjectivity at all. That is clearly fearmongering.
Dennis Putnam
Loganville, Ga.

"The founders did not create our civil rights, they assured
them." Tanya Metaksa - Director, NRA-ILA