The Debate

Helen Cadogan hc40 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Oct 11 08:46:05 MDT 1996

Bill:

A brilliant assessment of the characters of both these men.

Helen

>Ditto on all accounts.  The much liberal press will have all of believe
>that the elelctions are over already.  Did any one hear Tim Russet give
>his analogy that Slick just won hands down?  Give me a break already!!!
>

>On Mon, 7 Oct 1996 10:08:39 -0400 "William B. White"
><WHITEWB at JCCW22.CC.SUNYJCC.EDU> writes:
>>From:   NAME: Bill White
>>        FUNC: HUMANITIES
>>        TEL: 326/371                          <WHITE, BILL AT A1 AT
>>JCCV03>
>>To:     IN%"rushtalk at athena.csdco.com"@MRGATE at JCCW22
>>

>>Dittos to Sam, Tony, Jim, and John for their analysis of the debate.
>>
>>I thought Dole came across as the more substantial and "authentic"
>>person.  His
>>humor was pointed, his manner respectful.  Dole showed himself as the
>>man of
>>experience; the noble warrior of the Great War; the gallant, honorable
>>statesman of the Senate, plainspoken patriot, resilient and reliable.
>>Dole
>>understands sacrifice and the triumph over pain and suffering.  He
>>made it
>>clear that compassion is a habit of his heart not a showy program that
>>targets
>>spending toward population segments that will translate into blocks of
>>voters
>>who are expected to return the favor.  He stands for the integrity of
>>promises
>>and his word.  His word is trustworthy. He represents the best of
>>American
>>political energy.
>>

>>Clinton is an actor who verges on the classic portrayal of the clown:
>>His face
>>paints the emotions of happy/sad; pleasure/pain quite well, but one is
>>reminded
>>it's only an act to accompany his rhetoric, which is carefully crafted
>>garner votes.  Clinton is youthful (too youthful for presidential
>>levels of
>>leadership); even after four years supposedly doing the serious
>>business
>>leading the greatest nation, he still looks like an adolescent in
>>search of
>>experience.  He has the skills of the sophist, but no real depth of
>>field.  He
>>is fundamentally a charming, but dangerous demogogue with a good
>>hairdresser.
>>He represents what is transitory and superficial in the American
>>experience.
>>
>>I think voters have a genuine choice here.  The debates so far have
>>helped to
>>make that clear.
>>
>>Bill White

"If we must die, let it not be like hogs
Hunted and penned in an inglorious spot,....
If we must die, O let us nobly die,....
What though before us lies the open grave?
Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!"

                                         --Claude McKay, "If We Must Die"

http://www.talkin-drum.com/canboulay/