Not a good day for Rush today

J.B. Hammes economic at WORF.NETINS.NET
Fri Oct 11 20:25:57 MDT 1996

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> I'm not quite sure I understand your point here. Are you trying to say
> Rush's statement is in and of itself stereotyping? If so I think you are
> confusing stereotyping with characteristics. To say all
> African-Americans are black is not stereotyping, that is a defining
> characteristic of that group. If one is not black then one, by
> definition, is not African-American. What Rush said was not
> stereotyping but rather a defining characteristic of liberals. If one
> makes decisions based on intellect then, by definition, one is not
> liberal (using the modern definition of liberal).
> Dennis Putnam

Dennis:

        What you say about characteristics is true, however, I knew a man
who was white, and was part African-American.  He couldn't be classified,
racially, as a black man, but could be classified as African-American,
since most African-Americans aren't pure African by blood.  I'm not sure,
though, what does determine one's heritage, since I am part German and
part Irish and don't know what other races may have been mixed in there
somewhere in the past.  I'm guessing there could have been some American
Indian in there somewhere, but I don't know.  Does this mean I could be
classified as American Indian?
        I cite these facts to claim that Americans are just Americans with
a lot of heritage from other countries.  Some are characterized as
liberals, some conservative, some aren't.  Your post got me thinking about
this and I just had to comment on it.  What do the rest of you think?

John Hammes

"WHEN I DIE, I WANNA GO PEACEFULLY IN MY SLEEP LIKE GRANDPA, AND NOT
     SCREAMING IN TERROR IN AN AIRLINE SEAT LIKE HIS PASSENGERS"

         ANONYMOUS POSTING ON FLIGHT-SIMULATOR DISCUSSION GROUP