Not a good day for Rush today

Dennis Putnam dap at ILINKS.NET
Sat Oct 12 12:09:15 MDT 1996

On Fri, 11 Oct 96 19:25:57 PDT  , J.B. Hammes wrote:

> Dennis:
>
>         What you say about characteristics is true, however, I knew
> a man
> who was white, and was part African-American.  He couldn't be
> classified,
> racially, as a black man, but could be classified as
> African-American,
> since most African-Americans aren't pure African by blood.  I'm not
> sure,
> though, what does determine one's heritage, since I am part German
> and
> part Irish and don't know what other races may have been mixed in
> there
> somewhere in the past.  I'm guessing there could have been some
> American
> Indian in there somewhere, but I don't know.  Does this mean I could
> be
> classified as American Indian?
>         I cite these facts to claim that Americans are just
> Americans with
> a lot of heritage from other countries.  Some are characterized as
> liberals, some conservative, some aren't.  Your post got me thinking
> about
> this and I just had to comment on it.  What do the rest of you
> think?

--------- End quoted message ----------

Of course there are exceptions to almost everything. In this case, I was =

 typing in liberal terms. The gentleman to which you refer is not a
member of the black community regardless of his legal or family
heritage, that group bases their membership purely on skin color and
political position. Those are their rules not mine. Indeed there are many=

Americans that have dark skin and African heritage that are not
considered members of the black community also. Clarance Thomas
and Ken Hamblin are two that immediately come to mind.