Winners, Losers and character tests

Willaim Thurber - MKTG PhD Student thurber at FMGMT.MGMT.UTORONTO.CA
Sun Oct 20 20:46:40 MDT 1996

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> So if I understand you any time one tries to determine the cause of a
> loss that is considered, by you, to be a poor loser. Is that right? Also,
> when one tries to reason why one lost then what ever possibilities
> one comes up with is considered blame. Is that right as well?
>
> Since it has been determined by survey that 57% of those polled
> admited they did not trust Clinton but will vote for him anyway, then it
> is considered a poor loser that questions the wisdom of why those
> poeple would do what they did. Again am I right?
>
> If the media provably distorts the truth from one side and refuses to
> challange mis-information from the other, questioning that is being a
> poor loser. Am I getting this right?
>
> I need to understand your definition of a poor loser in order to
> continue this discussion. However, if this is indeed your definition
> then I will admit I am a poor loser by your definition. That being said,
> in the works of Henry "nostrilomus maximus" Waxman, "So what?"
> You've changed the commonly accepted defintion of a poor loser so
> as to make it apply to every person that loses a challange thus
> making it a meaningless term.

Dennis,

My point is that it is not the duty of others to understand you, it is
your duty to make yourself understood.  This is your responsibility, face
up to it without blaming others.

As for your contention of a stupid electorate, sheesh Dennis listen to the
data.  57% do not trust Clinton but about 1/2 of these people are willing
to vote for him.  Since they agree with your view of the President, you
can hardly call them misinformed.  Yet, they will still reject the
alternative!!!!!  There is a message in there.  I contend that it is
either messenger, message or an interaction of the two.  You will have 4
years to figure out which (or to sit on your rear blaming others for not
understanding, communicating, or whatever)  Like I said, its your choice,
just have the responsibility to live up to it - as you would prescribe for
others.

--Will