Press bias (fwd)

Willaim Thurber - MKTG PhD Student thurber at FMGMT.MGMT.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Oct 30 15:02:10 MST 1996

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, William R Tuell wrote:

>     There was no message in "Emerald Forest". It was unrealistic and
> therefore not worthy of scholarly merit.
>     Micheal More's "Roger and Me," did present a basis for a message.
> Convincing? No, not to me. At least it did have a message though....
> ________________

I must apologize for sticking to the point here but what did you learn
about  communicating a message by watching "Roger and Me"?  If the
"Emerald Forest" failed to communicate a message to you, why did that
happen?

In so far as your comment "not worthy of scholarly merit claim.  Perhaps I
am too curious, but I am not sure there is anything that is not worth
investigating.  In this case, you have a special opportunity to learn how
to be a more effective communicator by attempting to understand why this
other work failed to convince you.  Take advantage of it!!!!

If you need inspiration to learn from failure, consider Thomas Edison who
when asked why after trying and failing  to find a substance that would
serve as a filament in the light bulb some 800 times, how he could
continue he said:  "because I had a government grant"  No No Just seeing
if you were paying attention, he said because I now know 800 things that
don't work.  You sir have the opportunity to find at least one thing that
doesn't work, rejoice.

--Will