UPS, Help me understand

Helen Cadogan editors at TCLQ.ORG
Mon Aug 4 22:37:27 MDT 1997

What you recount here, cas, partly explains the decline in union membership
in the private sector. To some extent, unions have outlived their
usefulness; so, what they are left with is adversarial confrontations with
management to give themselves the aura of credibility.  What else are
unions going to fight for?  Workplace conditions?  Benefits?  Rights?
What?  We've come a long way from the workplace of the turn of the century.
Now, unions have gone from listening to the worker's cries for improved
working conditions and better wages, to ignoring worker's cries of
contentment with the management-worker relationship and satisfaction with
the contract.  If workers are satisfied with management's offer, then why
are unions -- which negotiate such with the threat of strike as a stick to
beat management -- necessary?  How, then, can unions justify their
existence and receipt of dues paid?  Well, create dissension where none
exists; make demands over and above what workers consider fair; and, call a
strike.

The kicker is, as the strike continues and workers do not get paid (we know
how that story goes), workers, already disaffected with unions, are going
to be even more so.  Unions take dues, they don't pay wages to the rank and
file -- only to union bosses.

It's up to the UPS workers to withdraw from the union.  As long as they
agree to be represented by Teamsters, whether or not they actively
participate, through voting, Teamsters has the right to make decisions on
their behalf -- even when many don't agree with them.  Failure to vote is a
vote for a strike; and, maybe some disaffected union workers don't vote.
Hence the craziness with which you're confronted.

Am sure you've scanned your environment to see what eager beaver now
starting up would like your business.  Bet your bottom dollar, some guy
with a bright idea and a few bucks is going to benefit from this and gain a
foothold.  If all else fails, maybe some others who are experiencing your
predicament may be willing to explore a startup carrier operation.  Stuff
happens.  Good luck, cas.

>        Okay, forgive me but I am just sharing my frustrations and I hope
>someone will
>help me understand.  As I have stated before, I am the plant manager of a
>small
>factory.  We totally depend on UPS to move our stuff in and out.  Now my local
>UPS drivers say they are happy with what is being offered, but the Teamsters
>won't let them vote on the contract.  Can someone explain this to me?  This is
>what I think I understand.  The Teamsters are a union group that has several
>companies in their union, one of which is UPS.  For some reason the Teamsters
>have decided that they do not like the contract being offered and therefore
>have decided to go on strike.  What I don't understand is, if the company
>agrees, how does the union have the power to override them?  Am I stupid?  Is
>there something I am over looking?  I am having a nervous break down because
>the post office has limited me to four packages a day, Fed Ex says no more
>than
>normal.  On a given day, we ship four packages a day by Fed Ex.  They always
>give us a number like, 23 or 24.  Today when we called at 7 o'clock this
>morning, our number was 8005.  When we called at 7:30, they said, no way.
>Then, when we closed today, they never came and got the one package they said
>they would get.  Trucking companies say, unless you are an every day customer,
>don't call us.  I had two hundred packages that did not go anywhere today.
>What am I going to do, and/or say to my customers?
>          Help, I'm dying here and no one cares.  Thanks for listening.
>Insights are
>always welcome.
>
>cas

Helen Cadogan