UPS, Help me understand

Gary Freitag gfreitag at GREATBATCH.COM
Tue Aug 5 08:11:03 MDT 1997

cas writes:

>        Okay, forgive me but I am just sharing my frustrations and I
>hope someone will
>help me understand.  As I have stated before, I am the plant manager of
>a small
>factory.  We totally depend on UPS to move our stuff in and out.  Now
>my local
>UPS drivers say they are happy with what is being offered, but the
>Teamsters
>won't let them vote on the contract.  Can someone explain this to me?
>This is
>what I think I understand.  The Teamsters are a union group that has
>several
>companies in their union, one of which is UPS.  For some reason the
>Teamsters
>have decided that they do not like the contract being offered and
>therefore
>have decided to go on strike.  What I don't understand is, if the
>company
>agrees, how does the union have the power to override them?  Am I
>stupid?  Is
>there something I am over looking?

I certainly understand your plight, but your dealing with a government
legislated monopoly, where exclusive rights on labor are given to the
union, even above its members - a most dangerous situation.

It has been suggested that unions are no longer needed as in the past.
I disagree.  I think unions should be opened up to competition,
allowing workers to join the union of their choice, or to choose not to
be represented by any.  It would help balance the forces in the
workplace.  It would remove corruption.  It would prevent the cost of
labor being raised well above the market at the cost of those
unfortunate to be on the outside.

gary
gfreitag at greatbatch.com